The Change-of-Campus Process
The Penn State 2+2 Plan offers you the opportunity to begin at one of our campuses and complete your degree at another campus. This is not a difficult process if you begin planning early. Here is a general timeline followed by most students making the transition to another Penn State campus:
First Year Spring:
- Begin exploring your options for completing your Penn State degree. Gather information about the other campuses.
- Identify and work with your assigned academic adviser to explore, clarify and/or change your choice of major.
- Not sure who your adviser is? Check out the Academic Advising Center at your campus.
- Attend Link UP at University Park -- a one-day visit program for students considering a change of campus. Transportation is provided.
- Review the information provided in our Financial Considerations section to make an informed decision about cost of attendance.
- Penn State students may take classes at any Penn State campus during the summer. This may be a great time to "test drive" a different campus environment.
Second Year Fall:
- Meet with your academic adviser to make sure you are making positive academic progress.
- When you have met the criteria for entrance in to your intended major, submit your Change-of-Major application in LionPATH.
- Many campuses offer transition programs to prepare you for the change. Visit your Student Activities office for more information.
- Attend the Housing Fair at UP to learn more about housing options in State College (if considering a change to UP).
- If you are hoping to live on campus, you should submit a contract for your current campus AND your intended campus. For additional information on this procedure, visit the Housing Office website.
- DO NOT sign an off-campus lease before you have been approved to change campuses. These are legally binding documents.
Second Year Spring:
- Confirm your desire to change campuses in LionPATH (additional information coming). Decisions usually available in early March.
- Meet with your academic adviser to schedule appropriate Fall courses at your new campus.
- Accept your on-campus housing contract for your new campus (if awarded a contract) or finalize off-campus housing.
- Need help reviewing your lease? Consider contacting Student Legal Services (free to students).
- Attend a Change-of-Campus Orientation to University Park event (if changing to UP) at a nearby campus or online.
If you are changing to University Park, your timeline continues from here:
- Reach out to your new academic adviser (available in LionPATH) to make sure your fall schedule is appropriate.
- Participate in the STEP: Student Transitional Experiences Program ($1,500 Provost's award available).
- Review the Change-of-Campus Checklist prior to your arrival at UP.
First Semester at University Park:
- Attend Change-of-Campus Welcome & your required College Dean's Meeting.
- Participate in Welcome Week activities, including the Involvement Fair.
- Schedule a meeting with your academic adviser to discuss course planning and degree progress.
- Attend Fall Career Days. Be sure to pack professional attire when you move.
- Invite your parents and family members to Parents & Families Weekend -- October 19-21, 2018.
If you are changing to a campus other than University Park, you will want to contact your new campus for information about additional programming available to support you in your transition.
You should direct questions about your individual academic situation to your academic adviser in order to identify specific deadlines for any given year.
If you'll be changing campuses to University Park or are interested in learning more, see the links below!