New Student Arrival Checklist
You may not be able to work through all of these conversations before the start of the semester, but we encourage you and your family to have ongoing discussions about the topics/items listed below.
Talk to Your Family/General Topics for Discussion
- Agree on how you will share information about your academic progress with your family.
- Discuss providing online access to Tuition/Bills, grades, course schedule, etc. through the LionPATH.
- Discuss your mutual expectations for staying in touch. How often will you call? How often will you visit?
- Talk to your student/family about safety and decisions regarding alcohol and drugs.
- Talk about how you will finance your education. Brush up on how to manage a bank account. Discuss credit cards.
Stay Connected as Parents & Family Members
- Add "email@example.com" to your address book to ensure you receive communications from the Parents Program.
- Complete the Parent Information Form online using your student's ID number.
- Consider volunteering for the Parents Program.
- Subscribe to the Parents and Families Newswire and the Family Health Line Newswire online.
- Connet with Penn State and the Parents Program social media.
Organize Your Healthcare
- Upload your Immunization Verification Form to myUHS (University Health Services). This must be completed before the semester begins.
- Copy and pack your health insurance and prescription cards. Students without health insurance can purchase it through Penn State.
- Make arrangements for your current and maintenance prescription medications.
- Reach out to Counseling and Psychological Services to arrange for ongoing counseling or psychiatric services.
Complete Online Modules
- Penn State SAFE (Student Alcohol Feedback and Education)
- Penn State SAFE - Access for Parents & Families
- Penn State AWARE (Sexual Assault Awareness)
- Know the Code Quiz
- Course Management Systems: ANGEL and Canvas
Pay Your Tuition Bill
- Tuition bills are available through LionPATH. You will receive notification via your Penn State email account when your tuition bill is available to view and pay through the Student Center on LionPATH.
- Set up delegated access to grant your parents/family members access through Higher One to view and/or pay tuition bills.
- Find additional information and begin planning for future semesters.
Prepare for Move-In
- View your room assignments and roommate information.
- Introduce yourself to roommate.
- Find out what to pack.
- Find out what to leave at home.
- Register your computer or laptop if you are living on campus (at least three days before arrival).
- Review arrival procedures and print out parking information.
- Brush up on your laundry skills!
Prepare for your First Semester
- Add your cell phone number to the PSUAlert system in order to receive text and/or voice updates.
- Explore purchasing or renting textbooks (can be ordered in advance, bundled, and picked up) through the Penn State Bookstore.
- Read the S Book provided to you at NSO.
- Finish The Circle by Dave Eggers.
- Add funds to your LionCash+ account
- Download the Penn State Life mobile app to access Preface magazine, which will include the Winter Welcome schedule. This app is available on the web, Google Play or Apple Store.
Participate in Winter Welcome
- Locate your classroom buildings and walk your class schedule. Map out the location of your classes.
- Discover opportunities and make new friends at the Involvement Fair.
- Visit welcomeweek.psu.edu
Get the Semester Started
- Review class schedule and use the drop/add period to make adjustments if necessary.
- Schedule an appointment with your academic adviser to continue making plans to meet your academic goals.
- Visit your instructor's office hours.
- Attend Penn State Reads events throughout the academic year, including the keynote lecture, movie screenings & cultural events.