You'll be able to make your reservation for NSO after you've completed your ALEKS Math Assessment. In the meantime, here's an overview of what to expect during NSO at University Park.
If you are an international student, learn more about International Student Orientation here.
Check-in for NSO begins at 12:30 p.m. on Day 1. NSO concludes on Day 2 at 5:00 p.m.
On Day 1 of NSO, you will:
- get to know your assigned Orientation Leader and small group of students
- learn more about the educational planning process at Penn State
- participate in conversations about the transition from high school to college
- learn more about what you can expect and what is expected of you as a member of the Penn State community
- become familiar with different clubs, organizations, and other opportunities to become involved and engaged at Penn State
Formal programming for Day 1 will conclude by 8:00 p.m. Students attending NSO are provided with a meal coupon to cover dinner on Day 1 and brunch on Day 2 during your visit. You are responsible for all other meals.
If you're living on-campus for the spring semester, you should move into your housing before you check in for NSO. Residence Halls open at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, January 11 and you will check-in for housing at the Commons Desk location for your particular housing assignment. This is where you will return to at the conclusion of Day 1. If you're commuting to campus for the spring semester, you will return home at the conclusion of Day 1.
On Day 2 of NSO, you will:
- learn more about housing, dining, and residence life on-campus
- attend a session on student aid, paying the bills & financial literacy
- affirm your interest(s) in what you plan to study
- learn about technology services and software that are available to you as a Penn State student
- meet with an academic adviser and schedule your first semester of classes
NSO concludes at 5:00 p.m. on Day 2.
Many of our program activities will be in large auditoriums, and it will be necessary to walk some distance between campus locations. If you, or your parent or family member, anticipate needing any type of accommodation or have questions about the physical access provided, please visit our FAQ page for additional information.